LICENSE-FREE OR LICENSED RADIO?
Walkie-talkies have a great range of applications in the professional environment. In industries such as construction, hospitality, security, retail and schools, where quick and clear instructions and communication is important, walkie-talkies can be extremely useful. Keeping in contact with your colleagues can increase efficiency and safety at work.
Communicate easily wherever you are with a walkie talkie!
What are the benefits of a walkie talkie?
A walkie-talkie or two-way radio is a small portable device that allows several people to communicate via radio waves. But how does it work in more concrete terms? Simply put, all you have to do is set two or more walkie talkies to the same radio frequency, also known as a channel. You can then send a message to other devices that are within range by pressing down a button as you talk. If the device is licence-free (calls are free of charge), it has a range of 5 to 10 kilometres, but your range can be increased significantly by opting for a licensed device (calls are chargeable).
• Free and unlimited communication: all you have to do is set your devices to the PMR446 frequency band.
• Speed and simplicity of use for professionals: unlike a mobile phone, a two way radio does not need to be connected to a network in order to function; walkie talkies can operate anywhere, including the most remote settings, such as if you were up in the mountains, for example. In addition, they do not require you to dial a number in order to contact your collaborators, which is a real time-saver for professional or leisure activities that require instant responses, such as construction, security, hunting, sports coaching and many others.
• Durability that you can rely on: the majority of our two way radios are designed to withstand the most extreme conditions, which mean that they will never let you down, regardless of the environment you are working in. Their durability, which meets military resistance standards, allows them to withstand shocks, such as falls, and challenging weather conditions, such as humidity, extreme heat or extreme cold. Many models are also waterproof and IP (Ingress Protection) certified: they can withstand splashes of water and full immersion in water while also being protected against dust. Importantly, these devices are also designed for daily or intensive use, thanks to their long-lasting battery life.
Which two way radio is best for you? Should you opt for licensed or licence-free?
Licence-free devices are the perfect option if you want to enjoy the multiple features offered by walkie talkies, while also saving money. Using this type of device is 100% free and offers completely unlimited use because it does not require a licence from OFCOM, the UK regulator for communications services. These radios will allow you to communicate without any interference on 8 to 220 channels at a range of up to 10 kilometres. Whatever their make or model, all of our licence-free walkie talkies are compatible with each other, for ease of purchase!
Licensed devices are particularly well-suited for professionals working with sensitive information, whose conversations must remain secret. By opting for a licensed walkie talkie, your conversations will remain totally secure as your channel is private and no-one else can access it. To enjoy the benefits of a licensed device, you must purchase an annual radio licence from OFCOM, who will assign you your own private radio frequency.
This type of radio, which is more powerful than a licence-free device, gives you a considerably greater range, depending on the type of licence you choose. Its scope may even extend nationally with IP Connect, which allows you to connect to up to 15 sites all over the country, using the internet.
It also offers highly useful professional features, which will allow you to:
• Receive alarms in real-time for activities related to security
• Benefit from protection for lone workers: in the case of falls, the radio will send an alarm signal as well as its GPS location
• Respond to standard telephone and intercom calls
What are the differences between analogue, digital and hybrid walkie talkies?
There are varied models of two way radios available on the market, including analogue, digital and hybrid devices. But what are the differences between these models?
• Analogue: this is the classic model. It is the most widely used device on the market but it is gradually starting to be replaced by digital technology. This type of walkie talkie uses analogue frequencies and provides a single channel. Sound quality can vary, depending on distance.
• Digital: this devices offers much better audio quality, whatever the distance. The sound is always crisp because it is processed digitally. In addition, it offers other considerable benefits, such as up to a 20% larger range and reduced licence costs, for example.
• Hybrid: this hybrid device blends analogue and hybrid technology. Buying a hybrid device helps to facilitate a gradual transition to digital as your device will be compatible with all analogue two way radios that you are already using or in contact with.
For even greater simplicity, you can choose a walkie talkie that is best suited to your line of work, depending on whether you work in security, on a construction site or outdoors, in retail, or in events, etc. For example, we offer devices that stand out for being discreet and lightweight. With these devices, their small size is particularly helpful for those working in hotels, restaurants and small shops.